The Addresses:


Sister Cassidy Cheyenne Steele
Louisiana Baton Rouge Mission
12025 Justice Ave
Baton Rouge, LA 80816

My email is cassidy.steele@myldsmail.net

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Even if you Don't Like Lemonade

I always disliked the saying "when life throws you lemons, make lemonade." For one thing, if all you had in your lemonade was lemons, everyone would hate you, because who just squeezes a lemon and drinks it straight? That's right, NOBODY unless you're Chuck Norris or something.

Now, I'm not going to try and be all clever and deep and meaningful here, because you see, I am about due for another lovely little packet of happiness (read: hydrocodone). But even though I don't get many people reading this, it allows me to do something produvtive and is a bit of a cathatsis for sitting in bedrest all day.

I didn't expect this to be so hard. Once upon a time, I broke my wrist. The ER staff told me it looked fairly clean and that I shouldn't need surgery. Well, they must of misinterpreted the x-rays, because this has been a really lousy spring break. I had to get a plate and some screws put into my wrist on Tuesday.

Let me interject--yes, I'm interrupting myself. This was my third surgery. I have had two pretty intensive shoulder surgeries, one in May of 2009 and one in November of 2010. They were not fun, to put it lightly. But this? This has easily been the worst surgery I've been through, because my body has refused to let me sleep the pain off. Between 10:00 Tuesday evening and 11:00 Wednesday night, I slept 2 and a half hours. Today was better--my merciful surgeon prescribed me a low dosage sleeping medication that let me sleep about 6 hours. Hopefully I should be back to normal tonight.

But, as my loopy self was sitting in bed just praying for some sleep that never came, I realized why that  little lemonade adage was so popular. Yes, lemons are sour and no one wants to eat them outright. But you can't just look at an experience and see the bad to it. You have to bring your own good into it--sugar's not that expensive, and neither is a little optimism. I've just been stingy with my sugar in this experience because it happened at a really bad time. Well, I'm not going to make it too sweet, because nobody likes that either. But, the good and the bad do have to balance out. Yes. I broke my wrist pretty badly. But we have the medication and technology to fix it so that I can play piano again. Yes, it's made me pretty helpless, but it's also made me rely a lot more on the Lord. I've been able to spends a lot more time with my roommates and with my family. I've been forced to slow down and just take time to let myself heal. So no, I'm not a huge fan of lemonade, but sometimes you need the sour to balance out the sweet. And who knows? There might be someone down the road who needs that outlook to keep them walking.

Now, though, on to pain pills! Hurrah!

Also! I went through the Draper Temple on Saturday. I will echo what all of the General Authorities and leaders of the Church have said--do everything you can to obtain a Temple Recommend. If you have one, go often. The peace is beyond description. The blessings are without measure.

Questions? Feel free to email me at c.chey.steele@gmail.com or just drop 'em below!

Cass

No comments:

Post a Comment